Just a week before the Bundesliga season is set to resume, Dynamo Dresden have been forced to quarantine their entire squad and coaching staff.
Dresden, who play in the German second division, announced on Saturday that two of their players have tested positive for the coronavirus.
Under medical guidelines, that means all players and coaches at the club must now self-isolate for two weeks, meaning next Sunday’s 2. Bundesliga match with Hannover 96 will now not go ahead.
“The fact is that we can neither train nor participate in a game in the next 14 days,” said Dynamo.
It was announced last week that Germany’s top two divisions will restart the season on Saturday 16 May with the intention of finishing the 2019/20 campaign on 28 June.
The Bundesliga will be the first European league to resume play following the coronavirus outbreak, and all matches will be played behind closed doors with all players required to undergo regular testing for Covid-19.
But it seems unlikely that Dresden – who are currently bottom of the second division – will be the only club affected by the virus, and it remains to be seen whether any other matches have to be postponed in the future.
If that were the case, it would make finishing the season within the planned time period extremely difficult.
“In the past few weeks, we have made enormous efforts in terms of personnel and logistics in order to strictly implement all the prescribed medical and hygienic measures,” said Dynamo Dresden sports manager Ralf Minge.
“We are in contact with the responsible health authority and the DFL (German Football League) to coordinate all further steps.”
This is the baddest guy around town. Hook me up so that we can share some routine infor in the area.