2021 Kampala Lord Mayor hopeful, Joseph Mayanja aka Jose Chameleone has issued out statement on his impasse with URA enforcement officers.
On Easter Sunday, the tax men ambushed Chameleone outside BBS TV in Mengo and demanded he produces tax clearance documents for his Toyota Land Cruiser V8.
This resulted into a heated exchange as Chameleone told the URA officials that he had left the documents at home which wasn’t the case.
On Easter Monday, the tax men stormed Chameleone’s home in Seguku, Entebbe road and impounded his car but the ‘Baliwa’ singer managed to escape.
Since then, he had not come out to shed light on what happened but managed to issue a statement last night on the impasse.
Read his statement below:
STATEMENT ON MY RECENT IMPASSE WITH URA
The media is awash with news and videos circulating, involving myself and the URA enforcement officers. Let me make some clarifications.
1. On 12th April – Easter Sunday, while enroute to BBS TV, I was intercepted by the URA enforcement at the entrance of Masengere.
2. It was less than 15 minutes to my appearance on the live TV show – EASTER CAMUKA – to which I later appeared. Because of the anxiety at that moment, I got engaged in a regretabble exchange with the URA team.
3. The URA team demanded for papers of my car (which were not in with me at time), and I felt it could have waited, the rest is history.
I wish to state, that as a person, in my celebrity capacity and as a leader, I have values I stand for, and I get disappointed every time I fail on them, just like that time.Therefore, for all of you my people who felt that I fell below your expectations, I’m sorry. I’m just human.
Watch Chameleone in heated verbal exchange with URA officials:
4. On 13th April, 2020 – Easter Monday – we handed over the car to URA for scrutiny as requested and have assured them cooperation of our highest regard in their process of scrutiny.
5. To enable this, I and my team are in contact with the URA to ensure that this impasse is resolved emicably and all dues are paid accordingly after verification and assessment.
6. Many people are concerned about the back ground voice in the Video as my car was being taken for verification that seem to sound like my friend, Balaam’s voice. I’ve played and replayed the video, and I think I will make a statement after a word with Balaam to understand his actions. For now, I can only say that as a key player in the music industry, he should be more careful next time.
Watch URA officials taking Chameleone’s car from his home:
7. Lastly, I assure you, all my fans and supporters, that I’m fine and enduring the lockdown. Let’s be calm, and continue observing the regulations as given by the World health organization and government. In the mean time I will continue working on more great Music.
May God Bless you.
15 / April / 2020
Lee Ray is a qualified journalist dedicated to inform and update you with News, Gossip, Entertainment, Showbiz and Music!