Christian Eriksen stable after collapse on pitch during Euro 2020 match

June 13, 2021
eriksen in stable condition

Eriksen went to ground during the match and required extensive on-pitch treatment towards the end of the first half of the game in Copenhagen

Denmark midfielder Christian Eriksen is stable in hospital after collapsing during his country’s opening Euro 2020 game against Finland in Copenhagen.

The Inter star went down during the opening half of the Group B match and required extensive medical attention on the pitch before he was removed on a stretcher. 

After Eriksen was taken to the hospital, UEFA sent out word that his condition was stable. The Danish FA also confirmed that Eriksen was awake and undergoing further tests. The game was initially suspended before it was later restarted after a delay of more than 90 minutes, with Finland winning 1-0.

What was said?

UEFA provided the first update on Eriksen’s status, saying in a tweet: “The player has been transferred to the hospital and has been stabilised.”

The Danish FA also sent out a tweet saying: “Christian Eriksen is awake and is undergoing further examinations” at the hospital.

Eriksen’s agent Martin Schoots told Dutch radio station NPO Radio 1 that Eriksen was awake, saying: “I’ve been in contact with his father for a while and he says that Christian is breathing and can talk, that’s the good news. He is conscious, but everyone is in shock. His girlfriend is with him.”

What happened to Eriksen during the match?

Play came to a halt just before half-time as Eriksen, without any players around him, dropped to the ground.
Christian Eriksen goes to ground

Referee Anthony Taylor immediately blew his whistle and brought proceedings to a halt. Denmark and Finland immediately called for the medical staff, who raced onto the pitch to administer treatment.

His Danish team-mates formed a shield around him as the medics provided treatment, before white sheets were held up around him to provide privacy.

Following several minutes of on-field treatment, UEFA announced that the match was suspended. The European governing body said just over an hour later that following a request from both teams’ players, the match would be resumed.